September 2, 2008

I have been having a hard time potty training Dannon. Do you know what happens when a toddler soils his underwear?!!! It is disgusting. The first thought that usually comes to mind is "Where do I begin?" Because usually there's a mess on the floor where he had the accident, down his leg, on his sock, and of course, in his pants. So lately I've decided I'm done cleaning out nasty underwear in the toilet. Instead I throw the underwear away. I'm done dealing with poopy undies. The response I've received from most of my family is "That's an expensive pull-up." Which got me to thinking ... is it really all that expensive?

A box of 88, size 4 pull-ups purchased at Target costs $29.99. That equals a little over $0.34 per pull-up.
On the other hand, a pack of 3, size 4 boxers purchased from Target cost $5.54. That comes to $1.85 per boxer.

So if you compare a $0.34 pull-up to $1.85 boxer, I could see how you might think that the underwear is expensive.

However, a pull-up cannot be reused, when underwear can. A pair of underwear has to be worn only 5.44 times to technically cost the same as a pull-up.

So if Dannon were to wear a pair of underwear 6 times and then messes, I say it should be economically accepting to just throw the darn pair away.

Now take into account that Dannon also wears some of Brody's hand-me-down underwear ... I would say that I am a very thrifty person!!

4 comments:

Jennifer Karyn said...

Good point. i'm glad someone thinks these things through...

you're crazy. haha.

Megan Holdaway said...

Those are some amazing math skills!!

Megan Holdaway said...

P.S. I will be in town this Sunday through Wednesday. See you there?

krisjane said...

You are quite economical!!! I would go with underwear too if I were in the same boat!! :) I'm not looking forward to potty training.